Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Cookies, Gwen, and Getting Back to Basics.

I have another book review- and, perhaps not at all surprisingly, it is of a "kids" book. I say, "kids", because I think that every adult should have a copy of this book in their car, workplace, kitchen and bedroom- anywhere where a good reminder of what it means to be an awesome human being would be useful. Yeah, that's most places. :) The book is called... "COOKIES; Bite-Size Life Lessons"
Gwen received this book as a gift from her grandmother- and up until recently, we hadn't read it yet. (The only reason for this being that any book she could get her paws on that was not made of indestructible material, she promptly consumed.) Since she has been doing SO well with bigger kid books, I busted it off the shelf and gave it a read. The premise is lovely in itself- teaching the meaning of important words (such as patience and compassion) through the world of baking cookies, eating cookies and being surrounded by cookies. It's wonderfully illustrated, poignant and cute- not to mention, it's a great reminder to adults about what it means to be a good person. Also, it's written by the same chick who wrote that book I reviewed, and loved so much, about motherhood. 5 stars! 

Apart from that, I have been deep in thought about what life will look like in the next two months. This isn't surprising, considering we are soon to be welcoming Izzy in to the family and a lot is changing around the house. Josh, one of our roommates, is moving out this weekend- and while this shouldn't be very mindblowing, my mind is a little dazed. His old room will become Izzy's room- and it just ocurred to me the other day that that is a room in my house that I have hardly ever stepped foot in since our purchase almost a year ago. Kinda strikes me as cool! I know it's been there and I have seen it everyday, but it's about to become an operating function in my household, as opposed to a room that "belongs" to someone else. It's like a present you forgot you had! 

Not being pregnant. I don't want to say "ever again" behind this statement, as that is the kiss of death. If I say that, I'll be pregnant again before I know it- but I will take this opportunity to express how excited I am to get my body back for AT LEAST a while! It won't be entirely my own, since I'll be a walking food source for little man for sometime, but it will be enough my own that I will get to do things I haven't gotten to do since we moved in... like, MOW THE LAWN. Might seem silly to be excited about something that seems so dreadful, such as raking leaves, but I rather enjoy that kind of stuff- and I do miss being able do it. Jogging! I don't even particularly love jogging, but I think I'll start. :) More essentially; long, long walks, hikes, working out-  and excursions where I am permitted to carry something like a full back pack, child or heavy water bladder... climbing a ladder! Ooooo- that'll be fun! See- these are things that happen to a woman when she's mommy-ed out, cabin fevered and functioning in a one car, stay at home, Daddy goes to work all day, kind of world. You get excited about the possibility of breaking your neck doing something tedious! Mind you, not too excited. :) 

Update on Ms.Gwen...Teething like crazy these past couple days, but managing along in spite of it. (Those molars are taking forever, man!) Getting a little braver with previously off limits food, such as eggs and honey- and so far, no more huge throw ups or upset tummies. We're slowly introducing shoes- which seems to be going over about as well as we expected. In general, she looks at them with a confused expression, half the time loving it, and the rest of the time hating it. Hey, I can't blame her... I lose my own shoes all the time from lack of wearing them. Life is just better barefoot. Well, unless there's snow. 

I am also excited about what this new found space in the house is going to be like for Tristan and I. We have been so consumed with coordinating, trying to keep potential fights, issues and freak outs to a minimum in our house (as does happen with roommates-but especially in this case) for the past year that we haven't had a ton of time to settle in to these walls and, hence the title, get back to basics! We do a pretty good job at communicating, despite the hectic stuff, how much we love each other everyday- but, no doubt, with less stress it will be so much easier to let it flow. :) Speaking of that, it's so easy to show it... last night, after making dinner, he ran off in to the dining room, lit some candles and turned down the lights. It was so cute and so sweet- especially because in the midst of all this romance Tristan was trying to create- Gwen was having an incredible meltdown over her teeth hurting (the dogs were hiding it was so ugly!)... so our candle light dinner was spent chugging our drinks, eating way too fast and ended up being about five minutes total, but it mattered even more because of that. It wasn't convenient, it wasn't ideal timing- but he thought of it anyway, and he did it anyway- and that made it absolutely perfect. I've been so, so stressed out- it was nice, gentle reminder to take it easy, and that he's got my back. I'm a lucky lady! What a sexy beast... *wooed sigh*  

The blood sugar issues I have been experiencing are beginning to level out! Or at least I feel as if they are- I haven't had nearly as many instances where my blood sugar has completely tanked in the last couple days. I am slowly regaining my energy and stamina- as much as I am allotted during the 3rd trimester- and that's very relieving. Not only is it hard to keep up with a wild little toddler when you feel so poorly, but it's just no fun! I love chasing her around, and it's always a bummer when I am too wiped to give it my all, or enjoy it as much as I normally do. Hopefully, if we are all feeling up to it, Gwen can get a visit in to the kids museum again soon. (Thanks, Peggy! That was the best birthday gift.)

Tonight's dinner! A whole roasted chicken, done up with parsley, salt, pepper, garlic and olive oil, with a side of cucumber and tomato salad... and probably some mashed potatoes for my man. The rest of the chicken which does not get eaten will be magically transformed in to some sort of delicious chicken soup... if all goes well on that front, I'll post the recipe! 

Love you all! Be well! 

Next entry: Traditions. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment