Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Very Quick Salmon Recipe

Hey guys! So, I just came up with this recipe- and it turned out REALLY nicely, so I thought I would share. 


Since the beginning of this pregnancy was not the easiest, as far as that fun morning sickness thing goes, I have been trying to be extra careful about what I eat and drink this time around. I ate well with Gwen, but this time I'm trying to up the bar to fresh foods and minimal unneeded extra calories. It's really a different ball game when you have another this close to the first! 


So, the recipe is for (basically) Lemon Basil Salmon...


PS: I rarely use any kind of measuring device, so my measurements I'm passing on are ball park. Just do what feels right!


You will need:


. 1 Salmon filet, de-boned and whatnot
. 1/4 cup of soy sauce
. Juice from a fat, ripe lemon
. 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (spicy is good!)
. 1/4 cup minced garlic
. Crushed Red Pepper, to taste


Okay, so you're ready to start! Pour the soy, lemon juice, chopped basil, minced garlic and crushed red pepper in to a skillet. Your stove may or may not be volcanic like mine, but essentially, you want to simmer all of the spices and juices together for about 5 minutes before adding the Salmon. So, if you have a non- homicidal stove top, you'll probably want to set your skillet to about 3 or 4 heat setting. (You'll know it's ready when the basil starts to wilt and get darker in color- and the garlic will begin to become a bit more transparent. Don't let this merriment burn! That'll make your salmon taste icky...and it will make me sad. Burned garlic and basil? Boo.) 


Toss that beautiful cut of salmon right on top! No need to lower the heat, really- as long as you like salmon fairly rare in the middle. If you want to cook it all the way through, lower the heat so it doesn't dry out. If the piece is on the thicker side, you're probably looking at around 2 1/2 to 3 minutes on each side. On your stove, it might even take less time than that! 


When you're done, plate the bad boy up with a pairing of a light salad, or some steamed veggies. Go ahead and spoon out those extra bits of garlic, basil and red pepper for the top of your salmon. And voila! Nice, fancy tasting salmon dinner in no time at all. 


Hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds delicious! I love your directions too. It sounds like I'm in the kitchen with you cooking it instead of trying to follow these choppy directions that don't always make sense anyway.

    Your blog looks great! Keep writing! I love to read it!

    ReplyDelete